"I will be an accessible Councilmember who works together with the community for the good of the entire district."
The First 100 Days
In his first 100 days in office Ben will:
- Improve the delivery of basic city services to keep our neighborhoods attractive places to live and work, particularly: cleaning streets and alleys; removing waste; and repairing malfunctioning equipment and city infrastructure.
- Strengthen the city’s human services for Seniors by encouraging better coordination and support from government programs, non-profit organizations and advocate for more affordable assisted living housing programs for District I seniors.
" District I has a thriving small-business district, especially in the East End. The success fostered in the downtown area needs to be sustained and expanded to other parts of the District. As your Council Member, I will work closely with the local chambers of commerce and development corporations to attract new, quality small businesses to the community. I have a proven track record of helping grow and foster small businesses in Texas. "
Ben Mendez supports the small business districts in our community and continually reaches out to hear about the local business environment. He understands the challenges and potential opportunities for our community. Ben’s plan to increase economic development includes:
● Having a full-time staff person dedicated to working with existing businesses to ensure their continued growth and development within District I.
● Continuing to work with private industry to expand, build, and promote other sectors including green technology, light rail and transportation, and the expansion of Hobby Airport.
● Having the City Council review fees, regulations and current tax structures to ensure they support and encourage small business development.
● Supporting dynamic marketing programs that include tax incentives, federal funding and other available resources that support growth in current business and encourage new business.
As your new Councilmember, Ben’s top priority will be public safety. He believes that enhancing our schools, parks, libraries and business districts all contribute to making this community a safe and profitable one. If elected, he will work with the police, community organizations and neighbors to develop a safety plan for each area of our ward and together the community will reduce violence and make the streets safer for all residents.
Public Safety Action Plan:
● Adding more police to our streets.
● Developing new strategies for getting illegal contraband off the street.
● Working with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms to curb illegal contraband sales.
● Investing in job training and after-school programs for at-risk individuals.
● Continuing to sponsor community-centered events, and art seminars for disadvantaged youths.
● Working closely with block clubs, neighbors and police to improve our community.